June 15, 2016
My Book VelociRaptor Duo 2TB External Dual Hard Drive Storage RAID Thunderbolt
WDBUWZ0020JBK-NESN review and price:
- Data protection with RAID
- Dramatic performance with WD VelociRaptor 10,000 RPM drives
- Daisy chain flexibility with two Thunderbolt ports
Warranty: standard manufacturer’s warranty
S&H: Free shipping if ordered online
WD My’s dimensions and weight: check our reviews
The benefit of Thunderbolt attached drives is speed comparable to having the drives connected directly. In this product the drives are two 10,000 RPM Velociraptors, some of the fastest non-SSD hard drives you may be able to find. The tradeoff is that they aren’t cheap, lack the bigger capacity of slower drives and are a bit noisier. Like the other My Book models, there’s quite some heat generated, however its less of a concern here ate least about the drives. Exactly, the other My Books use Green drives which aren’t as robust as the Velociraptors. Also the Velociraptors are really 2. 5 inch drives inside a frame that acts like a heatsink. There does not seem to be any differences in the case materials or cooling between this and the other models (this one does include a Thunderbolt cable), its still a cheap case. Due to steep differential in price between this and the next model down, there really needs to be a have to have that extra bit of speed to rationalize to get this particularly with the capability to daisychain Thunderbolt devices so two somewhat slower devices may be used simultaneously. This meets the needs of a small niche but is overkill for everyone else. Other issues:No off switch. Needs reformatting for use with Windows. The device can only work with the supplied drives. It’s intended to lockout on anything else. The device is only available via Thunderbolt.
This is a great external storage solution for the new (Late 2013) Apple Mac Pro. You get 2TB of storage via Thunderbolt that performs likewise to an SSD (over 350MB/s read/write) at a (current) price point that makes it good value. It sleeps automatically when the Mac Pro sleeps and wakes instantly with the Mac Pro. It is calm. In my office, I could not hear it (with normal ambient sound) and in my quieter home office, it is only barely audible when idle but you may be able to certainly hear the drive head chatter when it is working hard. It is the perfect compliment to the new Mac Pro if you need more storage than the interior SSD can accommodate.
The big draw of this is clearly Thunderbolt and the Velociraptor drives. And yes, both are fast, however WD makes another Thuderbolt product that costs 2/3 of what this system does, and has 3 times the storage. I have it also, and I can say that for big files this device can has come 45% faster, although that is not generally the case, and the speed difference nearly disappears with small files. To be just, it is hard to do a really controlled comparison, and I have not compared them with that level of rigor. Also, I have a workstation at work that has a Velociraptor boot drive, and for random access I do not notice a speed difference between the V. And a good 7200 rpm drive. (I am not saying that there is not one, however it is not much for non-sequential use. )The WD Thunderbolt devices compete with some of the other costly Thunderbolt external drives, like the LaCie equivalents, and the WD variants are considerably less costly. But, I have one of the LaCie devices at work (not the competitor for this, however the competitor for the WD 6TB drive), and I believe they rationalize the price difference. Why? The LaCie drives seem better made. (I can also be prejudiced by the fact that I have had great luck with external LaCie devices, with some running for six years, and maybe the better build does not make a difference. )With all of the devices I have mentioned above, the capacities assume you run RAID 0, because if you run RAID 1 (which mirrors the data) the capacities are cut in half. What makes me uneasy about this device is that it gets hot, and the drives are deafening.
Fantom Dives GF4000QU3 Aluminum External Drive 4TB Quad USB 3.0/2.0 eSATA Firewire800/400
- The Fantom Drives GeForce Quad is the 1 choice for creative professionals who demand Maximum performance, reliability, and most connectivity options for maximal flexibility, handling multiple demanding professional tasks with equal aplomb.
- Over 64,000 hours of music
- Over 4,000 hours of digital video
- The unique, fanless aluminum heat sink design for heat dissipation keeps it cool and quiet without noisy and failure prone fans.
- The Fantom Drives GeForce Quad features a sturdy, compact and versatile design, making it ideal for intensive professional use.
- Over 1,200,000 digital photos
- It can be daisy-chained via FireWire and is even bootable on just about every modern computer, Mac or PC alike.
SySTOR 1:55 High Speed Duplicator for External USB Hard Drive & USB Flash Memory Card (SYS55EXH)
- Real-time display of detailed information on bright LCD screen. Support all file formats, file size, and drive capacity. Real time copy and compare technology to ensure successful and complete copies.
- User friendly interface and simple operation. Support Synchronous and Asynchronous copy modes. Can copy systems and files data only or the whole media.
- Able to duplicate 2.5″ external hard drive using the USB port. Upgraded power supply on each USB port to handle duplication for USB external 2.5″ external hard drives.
- Bit-for-bit hardware comparison for reliability of duplication. Provides a quick and full erase function that conforms on the DoD data security standards. 3 mode formatting options. (Auto, FAT, and FAT32)
- Complete Standalone turnkey system; no computer required. High speed copy up to 2GB/min or 33MB/sec. Built-in with advanced multi-core processor.
Buslink 8tb Fips 140-2 256bit AES Encrypted Usb 3.0/ESata Drive CSE-8T-SU3
- Buslink CSE-8T-SU3 8TB USB 3.0/eSATA CipherShield FIPS 140-2 256-bit AES Hardware Encrypted Desktop External Hard Drive with Heat Dissipating Aluminum Alloy Case
Akitio Thunder Dock (Thunderbolt Cable Included)
- Two Thunderbolt ports for daisy chaining
- Connects to eSATA USB and Fire wire devices to your Thunderbolt enabled computer
- Compatible with Thunderbolt 2
G-Technology G-DRIVE mini High-Speed Portable Hard Drive 1TB, USB 3.0, FireWire 800, 0G02576
- Up to 1TB of storage in an aluminum enclosure
- Integrated heat-sink for near silent operation and cooling
- 7200RPM for ultimate performance
- Now with USB 3.0 and FireWire
Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB Portable Hard Drive- Black (HDTB310XK3AA)
- Compact, smudge-resistant design
- Accommodates large digital files with spacious storage capacity.
- USB 3.0-powered portable add-on storage.
- Capacity: 1 TB; Speed: 5400 RPM; Transfer Rate: Up to 5 Gb/s; Average Seek Time: 12ms; Cache Buffer: 8MB
- Plug and play operation. Easy to use with no software to install.
U32 Shadow 1TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive for Xbox One
- USB Powered Hard Drive, no wall adapter needed
- Interface: USB 3.0 (Also compatible with USB 2.0)
- 1.0 TB Capacity
- Backed by a 3-year warranty
- Aluminum housing provides excellent protection and heat dissipation
- Apple Thunderbolt Cable 2 meter -MD861ZM/A
- Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3/DDR3L-1600 MHz (PC3-12800) CL11 204-Pin SODIMM Memory for Mac CT2K8G3S160BM / CT2C8G3S160BM
- Crucial 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR3-1866 ECC RDIMM 1.5V Memory For Mac Pro Systems (Late 2013) CT2K16G3R186DM / CT2C16G3R186DM
- Anker USB 3.0 7-Port Portable Aluminum Hub with 5V 4A Power Adapter and 3.3-Foot USB 3.0 Cable [VIA VL812 Chipset]
- Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac – Silver
- WD My Passport Pro 4TB portable RAID storage with integrated Thunderbolt cable (WDBRNB0040DBK-NESN)